These accidents are fairly commonplace in Simi Valley and other places throughout California. That’s why it’s always helpful to understand your legal rights and options if one happens to you.
Dedicated Simi Valley Accident Lawyers
No matter what type of accident you find yourself in throughout Simi Valley, it carries the possibility of serious injury. The resulting challenges and changes can leave you and your family feeling overwhelmed, but Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys will be there to help you. Our team of dedicated Simi Valley personal injury lawyers understand what goes into these accidents and what you need to do to make sure you’re compensated for your injuries. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our team today to set up a free consultation to learn more.
Where Do Simi Valley Slip and Fall Accidents Happen?
One of the more difficult aspects of Simi Valley slip and fall accidents is that they can–and often do–occur in a variety of different environments and places. However, there are certain places throughout the city where these accidents are more likely to happen, including
- Grocery stores
- Parking lots
- Malls and shopping centers
As you can see, slip and fall accidents happen virtually everywhere you’ll be in Simi Valley. That’s why it’s important to take appropriate measures to avoid these accidents, like staying alert for hazards and wearing proper footwear. With all that said, there are certain causes of slip and fall accidents that make them unavoidable:
- Wet or slippery surfaces – Wet or slippery floors or surfaces can cause people to lose their footing and fall. This can be due to spills, rainwater, or even cleaning.
- Uneven surfaces – Uneven surfaces such as cracked or broken pavement, potholes, or uneven flooring can cause people to slip and fall.
- Poor lighting – Poor or inadequate lighting can make it difficult to see hazards or obstacles, increasing the risk of a slip and fall accident.
- Cluttered or obstructed walkways – Cluttered or obstructed walkways can cause people to trip and fall over objects or debris.
- Lack of handrails or guardrails – Stairs, ramps, and other elevated surfaces without handrails or guardrails can be hazardous and increase the risk of a fall.
- Footwear – Improper footwear, such as high heels or shoes with worn-out soles, can increase the risk of slipping and falling.
Even taking proper precautions is sometimes not enough to avoid a slip and fall accident. While California law maintains that property owners or managers have a legal duty to take care of any hazards and maintain overall safety, that doesn’t always happen. In these scenarios, you could be facing a variety of different injuries.
What Injuries Are Common In Simi Valley Slip and Fall Accidents?
Whenever you slip and fall, it can result in a number of different injuries, some of which can be severe or even life-threatening. While every slip and fall accident is unique, some common injuries result from them. These include:
- Head and brain injuries – Head injuries such as concussions, skull fractures, and traumatic brain injuries (TBI) can occur when a person’s head strikes the ground or another object during a fall.
- Spinal cord injuries – Certain slips or falls can cause damage to the spinal cord, resulting in partial or complete paralysis.
- Broken bones – Falls can cause fractures or breaks in bones, especially in the wrists, arms, hips, and ankles when trying to break falls.
- Soft tissue injuries – Soft tissue injuries such as sprains, strains, and contusions are common across most slip and fall accidents.
- Cuts and bruises – Many falls can cause cuts and bruises to the face, head, and body.
- Emotional trauma – Sometimes, injuries from slip and fall accidents can also cause emotional trauma, such as anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
After any slip and fall accident, it’s crucial to seek medical attention right away. Even if you don’t feel injured at first, some injuries may not be immediately apparent, and delaying medical care can worsen your prognosis. Because these accidents can also cause emotional trauma, it’s also essential to take care of your mental and emotional well-being.
Determining Liability in Simi Valley Slip and Fall Accidents
When there’s a slip and fall accident, one of the most important things you can do after receiving proper medical attention is to figure out who (or what) is responsible for causing the accident. Generally speaking, owners of buildings or managers of businesses have a duty to keep it safe and free of potential hazards for anyone that is using the space. They can do this in a variety of ways but usually involves them:
- Regularly inspecting the premises
- Identifying and addressing hazards promptly
- Warning visitors of any known dangers
When they fail to do this and it causes a slip and fall accident, they could be potentially be held liable for any resulting injuries or other damage.
In order to further establish liability, you or any other injured party can provide evidence that the owner or manager of the premises:
- Knew about the hazard and failed to fix it
- Should have known about the hazard and failed to take reasonable steps to address it
It’s important to note that under California’s “comparative negligence” statute, you may also be partially responsible for the accident. For example, if you were distracted or not paying attention to where you were walking, your damages could be reduced.
Overall, whenever you’re injured in a slip and fall accident, you should always consult with a team of experienced Simi Valley slip and fall accident lawyers like Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys. We can help you figure out the viability of a potential claim, determine liable parties, and ultimately help you pursue a claim for damages.
Pursuing a Claim For Damages in a Simi Valley Slip and Fall Case
The process for recovering compensation for your injuries in a Simi Valley slip and fall accident requires you going through the legal process, usually by filing a claim for damages. In this process, you will formally file a claim against the liable party’s insurance company. You’ll do this etiehr via:
- An insurance policy claim
- A lawsuit
Our team of experienced Simi Valley slip and fall accident lawyers can assist you with both, and will help you by gathering evidence, entering into an investigation of the incident, and interviewing any witnesses.
Once we help you file a claim, we’ll then enter into negotiations with the insurance company, who will also investigate the incident. At the end of that process, they’ll likely provide you with a settlement offer, which you can either accept or reject. If you choose to reject it, the next step is to file a lawsuit against the person or business responsible for the fall.
A civil lawsuit in California for a slip and fall accident must be filed within the state’s statute of limitations for injury claims, which is two years from the date of the accident. Once a lawsuit is filed, though, you can potentially recover the following damages:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Punitive damages
Again, every slip and fall case is different and the outcome will ultimately depend on the circumstances surrounding your fall and how your claim holds up throughout the process. It’s also important to remember to be patient, as the claims process can be time-consuimg and challenging. Ultimately, though, working with our team of experienced and dedicated Simi Valley slip and fall accident lawyers can ensure that your claim remains strong and that you get the compensation you deserve.
Contact Our Team of Simi Valley Lawyers After a Slip and Fall Accident
At Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys, we believe that property owners should be held accountable for their negligence in allowing slip and fall accidents. These can cause you or a loved one serious injureis that can last the duration of your life. That’s why our team of experienced Simi Valley slip and fall accident lawyers will be there to make sure you have the legal support and guidance you need. Don’t wait to get started, contact us today for a free consultation.