How to File an Insurance Claim After a Car Accident in Thousand Oaks

If you’ve suffered an injury as a result of the carelessness and negligence of somebody else, you might be entitled to compensation for your damages. If you intend on pursuing that compensation, the first step that most accident victims make is to file a personal injury claim with the insurer of the person who caused their accident. Most personal injury claims involve motor vehicle accidents or accidents that occurred on property owned or occupied by somebody else. Accidents that occurred on property owned or occupied by somebody else are known as premises liability claims. Here are the steps that you need to take in order to maximize your chances of obtaining the compensation that you deserve in an accident in or around Thousand Oaks.

  • Seek Immediate Medical Care: Get to a primary care clinic or emergency room right away. They’ll document the fact that you were injured, your complaints of pain and discomfort, their findings upon examination and make a record of these. Follow all instructions from these facilities.
  • Get a Copy of the Accident Report: If police were called to the scene of an accident involving a motor vehicle, obtain a copy of the investigating officer’s report. They’re easily accessed, and they’re inexpensive. If any other type of report was made like in a slip-and-fall accident at a grocery store, obtain a copy of that report.
  • Contact Us: Here at Quirk Accident & Injury Attorneys, APC, we offer free personal injury consultations and case evaluations. Some small personal injury claims can be settled without an attorney, but it’s best for you to learn more about making a claim.
  • Submit Your Claim: Notify the at-fault party’s insurer of your claim for injuries and the date of your accident. Don’t tell its representative any more than your name, social security number, date of birth, date of the accident and the nature of your injuries. Politely refuse to provide any type of a written or recorded statement. California law doesn’t require you to give one. If the insurer’s representative refuses to move forward on your claim for want of a statement, you’re going to need us.
  • Provide Proof of Your Damages: You’ll want to provide copies of all medical bills and medical records in connection with your accident. If your injuries caused you to lose time from work, you’ll want to provide proof of that too with the dates of your absences and your pay rate.
  • The Settlement Offer: You’ll likely receive a settlement offer after submitting your proof of damages to the opposing insurer. If you don’t believe that the offer is sufficient, you enter the negotiation stage. You might be able to have the offer increased during this stage.
  • Settlement: If you agree on a settlement amount, a Release of Claims will be mailed to you along with a stamped self-addressed envelope to return it in. You’ll likely need to sign it in the presence of a notary. Once you return the signed and notarized release, you should receive your settlement check within a week to 10 days.

Contact a Thousand Oaks Personal Injury Lawyer

In attempting to make and settle a personal injury claim on your own, always keep the fact in mind that it’s the job of the adjuster on the other side of the claim to save his or her employer as much money as possible. If you were involved in a serious accident in or around Thousand Oaks and suffered significant personal injuries requiring multiple hospital visits and ongoing treatment and therapy, you’ll likely need the representation of a Thousand Oaks Personal Injury Lawyer. Make that call to arrange for that free consultation and case review as soon as possible.