Quirk Injury & Accident Attorneys, APC, wants to hear about how a flu vaccine injury has affected victims’ lives. We are ready to help those in Ventura County who have suffered harm after getting the flu vaccination. Children or adults may have experienced life-threatening side effects after getting the flu shot or getting the flu nasal spray or mist. There are critical benefits and compensation available to victims and their family members.
Contact our Ventura County Flu Vaccine Injury Lawyers to schedule a free case consultation and evaluation. It’s a no-risk way for victims and family members to understand the options they have for getting their medical bills paid and their financial losses returned to them.
Flu Vaccine Hazards for Ventura County Residents
The Mayo Clinic says the influenza virus vaccine is used to prevent infection by flu viruses. The vaccine works by causing your body to produce its own protection (antibodies) against the disease. The shot either injects you with a deactivated form of the flu or sends in a particle that mimics the flu virus.
Although the flu vaccine generally works very well at protecting shot recipients from getting the flu or getting a severe case of the flu, it can also cause reactions in a small percentage of patients.
The Mayo Clinic reports some rare side effects from a flu immunization including trouble swallowing, a racing heartbeat, and swelling around the face and mouth and in sex organs. Yet, some patients report even more serious reactions and develop severe conditions.
Flu Shot Reaction Symptoms
Patients who suffer major injuries after getting the flu vaccine make up only a small percentage of the people who get the shot. But their symptoms can be serious and even cause the loss of life.
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) – A potential side effect of the flu vaccination that’s been verified by the CDC. They document that research shows a connection between the flu shot and GBS. The body’s immune system reacts to the substances in a flu vaccine by attacking the body’s nervous system. The syndrome can leave victims with weakness and numbness in the upper body. It can lead to paralysis.
- Shoulder Injury – A shot administered in the wrong spot or at the wrong angle could cause tissue and muscle damage. Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration (SIRVA) is a real condition and victims should be able to count on getting support for this ailment.
- Seizures – When brain cells malfunction and send electrical signals uncontrollably. This affects the control patients have over their body parts. Brain damage from immune system reactions to the flu inoculation can cause seizures.
- Fainting – A symptom reported with almost all vaccinations. The symptom doesn’t usually last for more than a day. But if you fall and absorb a head injury after fainting, you would be eligible to ask for compensation.
- Nervous System Damage – Patients have reported having the nerves in the eye damaged and losing sight. The brain and spinal cord, and the entire central nervous system can be affected. The brain’s ability to focus and coordinate muscle movement may be affected.
- Inflammation—Rheumatoid arthritis can result from an autoimmune malfunction created by a flu vaccine reaction. The brain and spine can experience damaging inflammation.
These are just a few of the many possible outcomes for patients who suffer reactions after getting the influenza vaccination. Sorting out how to secure full compensation for victims and their families after a flu shot reaction is something a skilled Ventura County Vaccine Injury Lawyer will handle for you. You and your family should focus on recovery and not have to stress about how doctor bills will get paid.
Filing Flu Vaccine Claims Against Flu Manufacturers
The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) is a federal compensation program designed to make it easier for those suffering from flu shot-related injuries to secure recovery compensation.
All pharmaceutical companies who offer a flu vaccine pay into the VICP trust fund, so that victims can seek help. This includes flu shot manufacturers like GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca, the company that makes FluMist.
VICP funds are available to those who suffer from flu shot-related symptoms for six months or more. Patients who have had to be hospitalized and needed surgery can also file a flu vaccine injury claim. Families may also file on behalf of a loved one who passed away after getting the flu vaccine.
Keep in mind that government lawyers who go over your case may be working to limit the support you receive. A Ventura County Flu Vaccine Injury Attorney would negotiate to earn you the most in compensation possible for your hardships.
What Sort of Things Will Earn Me Settlement Money In a Flu Vaccine Injury Claim?
Flu vaccination victims should never feel like a flu vaccine manufacturer has turned its back on them. They also shouldn’t be made to feel that they are being greedy. Vaccine injury victims suffer physically, emotionally, and financially. It’s even possible their conditions will affect them over a lifetime.
They deserve to be able to afford the best medical care available and be given the best chance at a full recovery. A VICP can provide that type of relief as long as victims demand what’s fair in a claim.
These are just a few of the benefits your Ventura County Vaccine Injury Lawyer will be asking for:
- Compensation for the medical invoices you’ve already paid and for the bills you’ll get for care needed in the years to come.
- Settlement support for the pain and emotional trauma you’ve suffered.
- Compensation for your financial losses while missing work due to a flu shot-related illness.
- Wrongful death support. Families in mourning after losing a loved one to a severe flu vaccine reaction should never face the future alone. A VICP claim provides for the cost of a proper memorial and burial for the victim. The remaining hospital bills should be paid along with reimbursement for the costs already covered, perhaps going years back. The care and financial support the family can no longer draw from in the future should also add to a wrongful death settlement.
- Attorney fees – The Vaccine Injury Compensation Program also provides for the attorney fees flu vaccine victims have after seeking fair compensation for their hardships. The fees would not come out of the victim’s or the victim’s family’s VICP award.
What Is the Statute of Limitations On Filing a Flu Vaccine Injury Claim?
With a case involving a flu vaccine injury, victims have up to three years to file a claim. This deadline is counted from the first time the victim noticed the reaction to the flu shot.
Families who are seeking justice for a lost loved one face a two-year time frame to file a claim after the patient passed on. The claim also must be filed within four years of when the victim first noted the manifestation of a flu vaccine reaction that ultimately resulted in death.
Contact a Ventura County Flu Vaccine Injury Lawyer
Contact Quirk Injury & Accident Attorneys, APC, as soon as possible after you or a loved one experience a harmful reaction to the Flu Vaccine. We’re a highly regarded vaccine injury legal team serving victims in cities like Thousand Oaks, Ventura, Simi Valley, Moorpark, Oxnard, and Camarillo.
We want to help you identify the best course of legal action to ensure you get the most out of a flu vaccine injury settlement. The goal is to see you through healing and the rebuilding of your life. Vaccine manufacturers and government administrators may not want to treat you fairly, but we a ready and willing to force them into doing the right thing and helping victims.