With Thousand Oaks being home to major roads like the Ventura Freeway and the Moorpark Freeway, it is no surprise that you will see large trucks traveling these roads each day. From delivery trucks to semi-trailers, many types of truck accidents happen weekly in Thousand Oaks and the rest of Southern California. Unfortunately, some of these life-altering accidents involve the delivery trucks that we depend on, including those that operate for Amazon.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a traumatic Amazon truck accident in Thousand Oaks or anywhere else in Southern California, our attorneys at Quirk Accident & Injury Attorneys, APC are here to help. We have successfully represented victims of truck accidents in the past and will remain by your side through this daunting process as you seek financial recovery for your losses.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents Involving Amazon in Thousand Oaks
As with many areas of California, there is a huge need for Amazon deliveries in the Thousand Oaks area. This also means that there is a higher likelihood of seeing or experiencing life-altering truck accidents involving Amazon drivers. There are many reasons for these accidents on our roads, which include the following:
- Fatigued Driving: Many Amazon drivers put in long hours on our roads at work as they cover miles and miles of distance in one day’s time. When a truck driver does not take necessary breaks as required by law, they could fall asleep at the wheel and cause a catastrophic collision.
- Driver Distractions: Truck drivers often become distracted by things such as cell phones, GPS systems, and more while driving, which can quickly lead to an accident. This is due to the fact that a long trip can lead to boredom or a driver may have their attention pulled away as they are navigating a road that is unknown to them.
- Speeding: When Amazon delivery truck drivers are under pressure to meet strict delivery deadlines, they might start speeding to their destination. Unfortunately, increased speed can lead to a higher likelihood of accidents and also worsen an accident if it does occur.
- Intoxication: When a delivery driver is driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they are more likely to become involved in an accident.
- Lack of Maintenance: Semi-trailers and other delivery trucks must always be inspected and properly maintained for our roads. If an Amazon truck is not maintained by the owner or company, equipment failure could occur and cause a devastating accident.
- Adverse Weather: Rain, ice, and other adverse weather conditions can lead to an accident involving a delivery truck.
- Driver Inexperience: If a new driver hits the road, they might not have necessary skills to operate a large truck. This can lead to a higher chance of an accident.
- Improper Cargo Loading: Cargo loaders sometimes improperly load a truck, leading to shifts and loose cargo. This can cause a truck to become unstable, leading to an accident within seconds.
Who is at Fault for an Amazon Delivery Truck Accident?
Determining who is responsible, or liable, for an Amazon delivery truck accident is not always easy to do. You may believe that bringing a personal injury claim is as easy to determining that a truck driver hit you. However, there are also multiple parties who could be to blame for your accident.
The most obvious party is, of course, the company itself. However, Amazon classifies its truck drivers as independent contractors in most cases. This means that a delivery truck driver usually works for a private company that owns the Amazon trucks and hires these drivers to deliver their packages. This means that, in many cases, a private company that owned the truck or employed a truck driver could be liable for the accident. In some cases, Amazon Flex even holds insurance that covers certain accidents.
As you may have determined, liability is sometimes unclear. This is why victims of these accidents are encouraged to speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible after a truck accident. This should also be done as soon as possible, as California has a statute of limitations of two years from the time of your injury to file a claim before you are unable to do so. These strict time limits put added stress on you to ensure that you work quickly and accurately under California law.
Damages in a Truck Accident Caused by Amazon
In a personal injury claim, damages are the types of monetary compensation that you can recover after an accident caused by another party’s negligence. These types of support can cover both economic and noneconomic aspects, including:
- Medical expenses that you have obtained due to your injuries
- Medical expenses you expect to incur in the future due to your injuries
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity in the future
- Pain and suffering/Emotional distress
- Loss of companionship or consortium
- Damage to your property
- Punitive damages, which are meant to punish a party or company for negligent behavior
- Wrongful death damages if a life was taken due to an accident
A Thousand Oaks truck accident lawyer can assess your particular accident and guide you on what damages you may be able to expect in your claim.
Reasons to Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer
After you have been involved in a truck accident caused by an Amazon driver or truck, it can be beneficial to have legal help on your side. Navigating the legal system on your own can be a complex and stressful matter. Here are some aspects that a lawyer may be able to help you with:
- Protecting your legal rights and ensuring you receive fair financial recovery
- Investigating your accident and taking a closer look at vital evidence
- Interviewing witnesses who were present at the scene at the time of the accident
- Dealing with the big-name insurance company to retain the best settlement for you
- Taking your claim to trial if settlement cannot be achieved
- Calculating all of the damages you can expect in your case
Contact a Thousand Oaks Truck Accident Lawyer
Facing the aftermath of an Amazon truck accident in Thousand Oaks can be a difficult thing to do. While you are dealing with the pain and expense of your injuries, you may be concerned about the huge insurance company offering you less than you deserve in recovery. Luckily, there are options that are available for you at this time.
From the beginning of your claim, Quirk Accident & Injury Attorneys, APC are here to protect you throughout the California legal process. Our knowledgeable Thousand Oaks truck accident lawyers will fight aggressively to help you retain support for an array of damages. We look forward to hearing from you, so please contact us today for personalized attention regarding your claim.