As one of California’s most picturesque cities, Ventura offers plenty of opportunities to enjoy its beautiful weather by moving around on foot. Being a pedestrian, you usually have the benefit of being able to avoid accidents even though you share the road area with numerous other vehicles.
That said, there are many scenarios in which pedestrians can find themselves involved in an accident. Unfortunately, these accidents can often be serious and even life-threatening for pedestrians due to a variety of different factors. When you face one of these accidents, you’re likely going to have serious injuries and other damage to recover from.
Contact Experienced Ventura Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Today
If you or someone you know has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Ventura, it’s crucial that you take steps to protect your legal rights. These types of accidents can have serious consequences, resulting in injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and other damages that can have long-term implications on your everyday life.
At Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys, APC, we are committed to assisting pedestrians who have been injured in accidents caused by the negligence of others. Our team of Ventura personal injury lawyers has the necessary knowledge, skill, and experience to help you obtain the compensation you are entitled to. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to learn more.
What Causes Pedestrian Accidents in Ventura?
According to data from the California Highway Patrol’s Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS), pedestrian accidents are unfortunately common throughout California, including Ventura. Over the last five years, there has been an average of:
- 3,360 pedestrian accidents that resulted in serious injuries or fatalities statewide
As it relates specifically to Ventura over the same five-year period, SWITRS found that there have been:
- 11.4 pedestrian accidents per year that resulted in serious injuries or fatalities
This data underlies the severity of pedestrian accidents, which are an unfortunate part of commuting in Ventura. What makes them so dangerous is the fact that pedestrians are extremely vulnerable when they are in an accident with a vehicle, lacking protection against the much heavier metal frames and high speeds that are typically involved.
Worse yet, there are many factors that can contribute to pedestrian accidents throughout the city. Some common causes include:
- Distracted driving – Drivers who are distracted by their phones, food, or other activities are more likely to collide with pedestrians.
- Speeding – Drivers who exceed the speed limit or drive too fast for road conditions may not have enough time to react to pedestrians crossing the street.
- Failure to yield – Drivers who do not yield to pedestrians in crosswalks or fail to stop at red lights and stop signs can cause serious accidents.
- Poor visibility – Pedestrian accidents are more likely to occur in low-light conditions, such as at night or during bad weather.
- Intoxication – Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol are more likely to cause pedestrian accidents due to impaired judgment and reduced reaction times.
- Road design – Poorly designed roads or lack of pedestrian infrastructure, such as crosswalks or sidewalks, can also contribute to pedestrian accidents in Ventura.
Obviously, many of these causes are outside of your control as a pedestrian. That said, there are ways that you can reduce the risk of being in one of these accidents. First and foremost, always remain alert and aware of your surroundings, particularly if you’re in a busier area of the city. Further, always use designated walking areas and make yourself visible to other drivers.
Common Injuries in Ventura Pedestrian Accidents
Sometimes, pedestrian accidents can’t be avoided. It’s here that the vulnerability of being a pedestrian comes to the forefront. Being struck by a vehicle while on foot can lead to an extensive range of injuries, including:
- Head injuries – Pedestrians who are struck by vehicles can suffer head injuries such as concussions, traumatic brain injuries, and skull fractures.
- Broken bones – The impact of a vehicle hitting a pedestrian can cause broken bones in the arms, legs, hips, and other parts of the body.
- Spinal cord injuries – Pedestrian accidents can result in serious spinal cord injuries, which can lead to paralysis or other long-term disabilities.
- Internal injuries – Pedestrians can suffer internal injuries to organs such as the liver, spleen, and kidneys, which can be life-threatening.
- Cuts and bruises – Even minor pedestrian accidents can result in cuts, bruises, and abrasions.
- Psychological trauma – Pedestrian accidents can cause emotional distress, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
What Should You Do After a Pedestrian Accident in Ventura?
In the aftermath of an accident, it’s extremely important to take steps to get to safety and address any injuries. Often, especially if the injury is serious, you’ll need to take further action in regard to your health. This can help you with any potential claim you might have. Generally speaking though, you should take the following steps in the aftermath of any accident you’re involved in as a pedestrian:
- Seek medical attention – If you or anyone else involved in the accident has been injured, call 911 or seek medical attention immediately.
- Report the accident – If you’re able, you should report the accident to local authorities and wait for them to arrive on the scene.
- Gather information – Collect contact and insurance information from the driver of the vehicle involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses to the accident.
- Document the accident – Take photos of the accident scene, including the location of the accident, any damage to vehicles, and any injuries sustained.
- Follow medical advice – Follow the advice of your medical professionals and attend all follow-up appointments, as failing to do so could jeopardize your health and your potential legal case.
- Avoid speaking with insurance companies – After any accident, an insurance company is going to be involved in some way. Before you speak with them, make sure to first consult with our team of pedestrian accident lawyers. Any statements you make could potentially be used against you during the insurance company’s investigation.
Again, it’s important to speak with our team of experienced pedestrian accident lawyers as soon as possible to protect your rights and learn more about your options.
Ventura Pedestrian Accident Injury Claims
California law allows you to file a claim for damages against the party that is responsible for the accident that injured you. This occurs either through an insurance claim or a lawsuit but usually involves both.
- Filing an insurance claim – The first step is to file an insurance claim with the responsible party’s company. At that point, they’ll initiate their own investigation into the accident, gathering their own evidence so that they can ultimately make a settlement offer. Remember, the insurance company’s overall goal is to protect themselves and pay out as little money as possible. That’s where our team can be vital. We have the experience and resources necessary to make your claim as strong as possible and can negotiate a full and fair settlement with them.
- Filing a lawsuit – The next step, if the insurance settlement is unsatisfactory, is to file a personal injury lawsuit. This process requires a lawyer, who can file the complaint in civil court and represent you throughout the legal proceedings. A lawsuit involves its own discovery process, where you exchange any evidence with the other party. If the case doesn’t settle through mediation, it will go to trial before a judge and jury, who will determine the final settlement amount. The overall purpose of a lawsuit is to recover damages, which can include medical expenses, lost wages, emotional distress, pain and suffering, and similar costs.
It is important to note that the specifics of filing a lawsuit in a Ventura pedestrian accident can vary depending on the individual circumstances of your case. However, working with our team can give you a better idea of the viability of your case, and will provide you with support throughout the process.
Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys Can Help You After a Ventura Pedestrian Accident
If you or a loved one have been involved in a pedestrian accident in Ventura, don’t wait to seek legal assistance. The aftermath of an accident can be overwhelming, and you need a team of experienced pedestrian accident lawyers on your side to protect your rights and get you the compensation you deserve.
At Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys, we have a proven track record of successfully representing clients in pedestrian accident cases. We will work tirelessly to investigate your accident, gather evidence, and build an effective case for you. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and take the first step toward getting the justice and compensation you deserve.