Walking around Simi Valley is usually a wonderful experience. With beautiful weather and a variety of scenic walkways, the city offers a great opportunity for walking and enjoying the outdoors. However, the increasing number of pedestrian accidents in recent years has made it clear that walking in Simi Valley can also be dangerous.
Pedestrians everywhere face a range of hazards on any city’s roads. According to data from the California Highway Patrol’s Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS), over the last three years, there have been an average of 3,323 pedestrian accidents that have led to injuries or fatalities throughout California. As a result, if you’re moving around Simi Valley on foot, you need to be aware of the potential causes of accidents and understand what your options are if you do find yourself in one.
Experienced and Dedicated Simi Valley Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
When you are injured in a pedestrian accident in Simi Valley, it’s extremely important that you have legal guidance and support you can trust. At Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys, our team of experienced and dedicated Simi Valley personal injury lawyers has developed a proven system of success in handling pedestrian accident claims. We can help you by explaining your legal options and supporting you to get back on the road to recovery. To learn more, contact us today for a free consultation.
What Makes Simi Valley Pedestrian Accidents So Dangerous?
There are a number of factors that go into pedestrian accidents in Simi Valley, but by far the most consequential factor is that pedestrians are extremely vulnerable to injuries in them. The reasons for this aren’t hard to figure out: as a pedestrian, you have almost no protection against a moving vehicle. On top of this relative lack of protection, there are a number of different causes and scenarios that can lead to these accidents, such as:
- Distracted driving – A major cause of pedestrian accidents is when drivers are distracted. Usually, they are texting, talking on the phone, or engaging in otherwise distracting activities while driving and may fail to notice pedestrians.
- Speeding – Drivers who exceed the posted speed limit in a particular area of the city have less time to react to pedestrians and are more likely to cause accidents.
- Poor visibility – Pedestrians may be difficult to see in low light conditions, such as at night or during inclement weather.
- Failure to yield – Drivers who fail to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks or at intersections may cause accidents.
- Driving under the influence – Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol typically have impaired judgment and an inability to react in time to pedestrians. This makes it much more likely that they cause accidents.
- Road design – Some areas of Simi Valley may have poorly designed roads or intersections that can make it difficult for drivers to see pedestrians or for pedestrians to cross the street safely.
Understanding these causes is only part of the equation. As a pedestrian, you should always use designated crossing areas of a street and stay alert, particularly if you’re in a busier part of the city. Even by taking these precautions, accidents aren’t always avoidable. Worse, they typically result in a variety of serious injuries.
Common Injuries in Simi Valley Pedestrian Accidents
Not surprisingly, an accident between a pedestrian and a vehicle often results in serious injuries for the person that’s on foot. Given the combination of a heavy vehicle moving at speed against a person, the pedestrian is usually the one that can end up with a wide range of potential injuries, like:
- Head injuries – Pedestrians who are struck by a car can suffer traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), concussions, and other head injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries – When pedestrians are struck by a vehicle in the back or neck area, they may suffer spinal cord injuries that can cause paralysis or other long-term disabilities.
- Broken bones – One of the most frequent injuries that pedestrians may suffer is broken bones, such as fractured arms, legs, and hips.
- Internal injuries – Pedestrian accidents also frequently result in internal injuries to organs such as the liver, spleen, or kidneys.
- Cuts and bruises – Pedestrians that are struck by a vehicle and thrown to the pavement usually suffer cuts, bruises, and abrasions as a result of the accident.
- Emotional trauma – Pedestrian accidents also frequently cause emotional trauma, including anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Fatal injuries – In the most severe cases, some of these injuries from pedestrian accidents can result in death.
As with any injury, it’s extremely important that you seek medical attention right away if you’re injured in one of these accidents. You’ll also want to take the same steps you would if you were in a regular car accident to gather information on the person that hit you, as well as document any evidence of the accident with pictures or video. This is ultimately important for any legal action you’ll take.
Who is Liable For Pedestrian Accidents in Simi Valley?
While figuring out who is responsible for a pedestrian accident may seem straightforward, that’s not always the case. It all depends on the circumstances that surround your accident. Still, any injury in California is governed by the concept of negligence, which is key in determining liability. Negligence refers to the:
- Duty of care a driver or other person has to keep everyone else safe
When an accident is caused by negligence or recklessness, that duty of care is breached. Further, when the accident causes injuries and damages, the person that caused or took actions that led up to the accident is considered liable for any damages. In a pedestrian accident, this could include any number of parties:
- Drivers or passengers
- Government agencies
- Vehicle manufacturers
Given California’s laws on negligence, you could even share in some of the liability. This is known as “comparative negligence”, and the law holds that what you’re ultimately able to recover from the responsible party is reduced by the percentage of fault that you contributed to the accident.
In any case, if you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in Simi Valley, it’s important to take steps to both understand and protect your rights under the law. The best way to do that is to work with our team of experienced Simi Valley pedestrian accident lawyers.
What Damages Are Available in Simi Valley Pedestrian Accidents?
Being injured in a pedestrian accident in Simi Valley allows you to file a claim for damages against the liable party. This can be done either by an insurance claim or a personal injury lawsuit. “Damages” is another legal term that refers to compensation that’s available and is based on your injuries and losses. By working with our team of experienced Simi Valley pedestrian accident lawyers, we can help you file this claim and then represent you throughout the process. Ultimately, a successful claim can recover the following damages:
- Medical expenses, such as hospital bills, doctor’s visits, prescription medication, physical therapy, and rehabilitation costs.
- Lost wages, including any future earning capacity you have lost
- Damage to your personal property, such as clothing or personal belongings that were lost in the accident
- Costs relating to the physical and emotional pain and suffering that you have experienced as a result of the accident.
- Costs relating to the impact of not being able to enjoy things as you once did, known as “loss of enjoyment of life”
- Costs relating to the loss of your ability to maintain a normal relationship with your spouse or loved ones, known as “loss of consortium”
It’s important to remember that these damages are general, and what you’re able to recover depends on the circumstances of your accident. That said, by working with our team, we can provide you with guidance throughout the entire process and can ensure that you get fair compensation for your damages.
Simi Valley Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Are Here For You
Being injured in any accident in Simi Valley is demoralizing and painful, but especially when it happens to you as a pedestrian. Unfortunately, these accidents are fairly common throughout the city and often result in serious injuries and damages. You don’t have to face these unfortunate circumstances alone.
At Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys, we’ll be there to help guide you through the legal process and get the compensation you deserve under the law. If you would like to learn more about your options, contact us for a free consultation.