With its numerous locations and low prices, Walmart has built an incredibly successful business model. While there are a number of different stores to shop at in Oxnard, if you need a one-stop location, you could very easily find yourself in a Walmart.
That said, there are conditions both inside and outside of a Walmart store where a slip-and-fall accident can happen. If you find yourself in such a situation, you could be facing significant injuries or other damages.
Trusted Oxnard Slip-and-Fall Accident Lawyers
Any injury at a Walmart can result in long-lasting physical, mental, and emotional trauma for you or your loved ones. That’s why it’s essential to have the support of trusted Oxnard slip-and-fall accident lawyers who can help you pursue legal action for your injuries.
At Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys, we’re here for Oxnard victims who’ve been hurt. Our goal is to help you get fair compensation for your medical bills, future medical needs, and the pain and suffering from a slip-and-fall accident at Walmart. Contact us today for a free consultation. We’re here to help.
How Do Slip-and-Fall Accidents Happen in Oxnard Walmarts?
While Walmart is certainly a convenient shopping option for many people in Oxnard, the reality is that it’s like any other store in terms of the possibility of a slip-and-fall accident. In fact, there are certain things about a Walmart store that even increase the risk of these accidents. Usually, they happen for the following reasons:
Slippery and uneven surfaces are common throughout a Walmart store, especially in the store’s grocery aisles and near the entrance and exit. This is a common place where a slip-and-fall accident could happen.
- Sometimes, employees or managers will neglect to post caution signs for wet floors or hazardous areas, which can result in accidents.
- Poor lighting can obscure potential dangers, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Pathways obstructed by objects or clutter in various aisles can result in people tripping and falling.
- Loose tiles, torn carpets, or flooring in disrepair can contribute to accidents.
- Rain or other adverse weather conditions can create slippery surfaces and heighten the risk of falls.
Walmart’s management has a responsibility to maintain the safety of customers both inside and outside of the store. When they don’t take the necessary steps to do this, you or a loved one can experience a slip-and-fall accident that, unfortunately, leaves you with varying degrees of injury, like:
- Cuts and bruises
- Fractures and broken bones
- Muscle strains and pulls
- Ligament damage
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Emotional trauma
Regardless of how they happen, it’s always important to take the right steps in the aftermath of a slip-and-fall at a Walmart. Doing so not only protects your health and safety, but is important for your potential legal options.
What Should You Do After a Slip-and-Fall at an Oxnard Walmart?
Like any accident, the immediate aftermath is important in terms of protecting your health and well-being, as well as your legal rights. When you or your loved one is involved in a slip-and-fall accident at an Oxnard Walmart, you’ll want to make sure to do the following:
- Get medical care – It’s really important to see a doctor or go to a hospital soon after you slip-and-fall. Even if you don’t feel hurt right away or don’t see any injuries, you should still get checked. Some injuries might not show up right away but could cause problems later. Make sure to keep all your medical documentation, like bills and receipts.
- Report the accident to Walmart employees or management – Usually, Walmart has plenty of employees and management around. So, when you slip-and-fall, tell one of them as soon as you can. Let them know what happened and give them all the details they need. Ask them to write it down, or you can write it yourself. Include where and how the accident happened and anything that might have caused it.
- Take pictures and videos – Use your phone or a camera to take pictures or videos of where you fell and anything that made it unsafe. Take pictures from different angles and make sure to show any hazards like a wet floor or a broken tile. Also, try to get the names and contact information of anyone who saw the accident. You may also be able to get security or video footage from Walmart itself.
- Keep evidence – Make sure to keep evidence, especially if your personal property was damaged. You can use this to show that the accident has affected you. Also, don’t fix anything that was broken or damaged.
Obviously, you should always try to take these steps after you slip-and-fall, but sometimes you may be so injured or shaken up that you’re unable to. In those instances, have someone help you.
Is Walmart Always Liable For a Slip-and-Fall Accident in Oxnard?
The answer here depends on the circumstances. In most Walmart slip-and-fall accidents, it’s likely that the store will have contributed to the conditions that led to the fall. In legal terms, this means Walmart was negligent, and as a result, will be responsible for covering your injuries and damages.
To ultimately prove negligence on the part of Walmart, you’ll need to show that:
- Walmart knew or should have known about a hazardous condition and failed to address it or warn you or other customers appropriately.
For example, if there was a spill on the floor, and Walmart didn’t clean it up or put out warning signs, that could be a form of negligence. That said, there are certain other factors that could influence Walmart’s overall responsibility for the accident:
- Visitor status – Your legal status as a visitor to Walmart can also affect liability. As a customer, you are generally owed a higher duty of care than those that are trespassing or somewhere they aren’t legally allowed to be (such as an “employees only” area of the store). If you were a customer, Walmart typically has a greater responsibility to ensure your safety.
- Comparative negligence – In some instances, your own actions may have contributed to the accident. California follows a comparative negligence system, meaning that if you were partially responsible for the accident, your overall recovery may be reduced accordingly.
In short, Walmart might be responsible for a slip-and-fall in Oxnard if they were careless and caused the accident. But what happens can be different for each case, depending on the facts and proof. Once you’re able to properly take stock of what happened, you should also consider contacting our team so we can let you know what your options are.
Claims Process After a Walmart Slip-and-Fall in Oxnard
The claims process after a slip-and-fall accident at an Oxnard Walmart, like any other type of accident, depends on the circumstances. That said, our team can help you assess your claim and what the best course of action is. If you believe that Walmart was responsible for causing the accident and it resulted in injuries and damages, we can help you through the claims process.
Typically, this includes filing a claim against Walmart, either through their insurance company or a personal injury lawsuit. Here’s how our team can assist you:
- Collecting important evidence and documents.
- Investigating what happened.
- Interviewing witnesses.
Once the claim is filed, negotiations with the insurance company will begin, and they might make a settlement offer. If it’s not enough or doesn’t cover your needs, you can proceed with filing a lawsuit against Walmart in civil court.
In California, you have two years from the accident date to file a civil lawsuit for a slip-and-fall, which in legal terms is called the “statute of limitations.” Possible damages you might receive in a claim can include:
- Medical bills.
- Lost wages.
- Pain and suffering.
- Emotional distress.
- Loss of enjoyment of life or companionship.
- In some cases, punitive damages.
Every slip-and-fall case is different, and the outcome depends on your unique situation. The claims process can take time and be tough, so patience is key. However, our experienced Oxnard slip-and-fall accident lawyers will support you to maintain a strong claim and improve your chances of a fair outcome.
Work With Our Oxnard Slip-and-Fall Accident Lawyers
When you go into a Walmart, you’re probably not expecting to suffer an injury in a slip-and-fall accident. Still, these unfortunate incidents can happen, leaving you and your family facing medical bills and other losses.
At Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys, we believe that every store in Oxnard should do everything they can to keep their customers safe. When they don’t, and they put you in danger, our experienced Oxnard slip-and-fall accident lawyers can help you hold them accountable. To get started, contact us today for a free consultation.