According to the Federal Highway Administration, approximately 14% of fatal accidents on U.S. roads each year are caused by head-on collisions. These accidents are particularly catastrophic due to the fact that drivers are not given enough time to react before two vehicles collide head-on, leading to immense force and damages. Though these accidents can almost always be prevented, they still continue to happen due to driver negligence in Thousand Oaks every year.
After you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a head-on collision in Thousand Oaks, our lawyers at Quirk Accident and Injury Attorneys, APC are here for you and your family. We understand that you are going through something deeply traumatic and offer a helping hand to you in your time of need. Please contact us as soon as possible after your accident for a free consultation to get started on your claim.
How Head-On Collisions Commonly Occur
“Head-on collision” refers to an accident that results when two vehicles collide straight on as they are traveling in opposite directions. In some cases, these crashes occur when one vehicle is headed the wrong way or when a driver veers into the wrong lane of traffic due to some type of outside reason. Some common reasons for head-on collisions in Thousand Oaks include the following:
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving takes on many forms, including the use of a cellphone, talkative passengers, eating, and using radio controls. When a driver is distracted and their eyes are taken off the road, an accident could happen within seconds.
- Fatigued Driving: A drowsy driver who gets behind the wheel lacking sleep could be putting other drivers at risk. Fatigued drivers could quickly fall asleep at the wheel and veer into the other lane of traffic, causing a front-end collision.
- Intoxication: If a driver gets behind the wheel under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they might not be able to stay in their lane. This could cause them to head straight into another vehicle in the other lane.
- Speeding: When a driver is speeding, they could easily lose control of their vehicle and skid into the path of another vehicle.
- Illegal Passing: Even when passing is not permitted in an area, drivers may disobey this rule and pass a car anyway. They might end up in the other lane with no time to react when a vehicle is headed toward them. The results of this can be devastating.
- Reckless Driving: A reckless driver will engage in negligent acts such as passing when it is illegal or weaving in and out of traffic. Any of these actions can lead to a collision.
- Driver Confusion: When a driver is unfamiliar with the road they are on, they might drive the wrong way on a one-way street or freeway. No matter the confusion, a life-altering accident can occur.
- Swerving Driver: If a driver swerves so that they can miss an animal or debris in the middle of their lane, they might cause a head-on collision involving a vehicle in the other lane.
Injuries Present in Head-On Collisions
Due to the nature of head-on collisions and the force of the involved vehicles, it is not uncommon for these accidents to lead to fatalities. For those who sustain injuries in these accidents, they tend to be incredibly severe with a long recovery. Some of the injuries caused by head-on crashes in Thousand Oaks include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) caused by blunt force trauma in an accident
- Whiplash and serious neck injuries
- Debilitating back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries or paralysis
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding or organ damage
After a head-on collision, the best way to protect your well-being and the future of your claim is to receive immediate medical attention. The adrenaline after an accident can quickly wear off, leaving you with immense pain hours to days after an accident. This is why time is of the essence and you should never refuse emergency services after a collision.
Filing a Lawsuit After a Car Accident
Sometimes, insurance doesn’t cover everything after a head-on collision and an individual has to consider a personal injury lawsuit. An individual has to consider a personal injury lawsuit. You may be able to bring a lawsuit against an at-fault party to cover your damages following a crash. However, you will need to show the following elements to be successful in your case:
- The driver owed you a duty of care
- The driver breached this duty of care
- You were involved in an accident as a result of the breach in duty
- You sustained damages due to the accident
If you are successful in proving these aspects, you may be eligible to obtain the following damages in your case:
- Medical bills of the past, present, and future related to your injuries
- Loss of income due to missed time at work
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages meant to punish an especially negligent driver
- Therapy costs
- Wrongful death damages if a life was taken due to an accident
Contact a Thousand Oaks Car Accident Lawyer
Our Thousand Oaks car accident lawyers at Quirk Accident & Injury Attorneys, APC are here to assist you and your family after you have been hurt in a head-on collision caused by another party’s negligence. We will aggressively fight to protect your rights and build the strongest case possible for you. You may be able to receive many different types of damages to help you get back to a normal life. Please contact us today for a free consultation and case review.